⌘History of wireless communications
while 1G and 2G were all about radio interfaces,
- 3G and Beyond 3G (B3G) are all about services
- 4G is using mobile broadband everywhere
- 5G will be truly heterogeneous network
⌘Speed of technology
- "There might be a need for 5 computers" (1943 Watson(?), 1951 Hartree)
- Mobile: NMT, GSM, GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, 3G, HSDPA, SMS, EMS, MMS,... DVB-H,...
%Wireless standardisation forums
- 3GPP (3G Partnership Project) and 3GPP2
- Bluetooth SIG, zigbee alliance
and a lot of others addressing interworking
- OMA (open mobile alliance)
- UMTS forum
Ultra short range
- RFID, NFC
- Bluetooth, WiMedia,
- Zigbee, ANT+, Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
- Wireless LAN, 802.11 family
- Wireless telephony: DECT (Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications)
- 1G: NMT
- 2G: GSM
- 3G: UMTS
- 4G: LTE - IMT-A
Long Range Wide Area Network (LPWAN)
Mobile satellite communication:
- Geostationary (Inmarsat A, C, M) or low orbit (e.g. Iridium)
⌘Trend: Personal Networks
⌘Expectations towards global coverage
- According to Ericsson, Mobile Technologies are available for 50% of the world's population (2013), and the coverage will increase to 75% by 2017.
- According to Internet.org (Facebook, Opera Software, ....), only 1/3 of the world's population has access to the Internet (2013).
- An extrapolation by the Basic Internet Foundation points out that even in 2017 about 45% of the population will not have access to Internet, mainly due to affordability. Thus they promote the free access to basic information of the Internet, being text and pictures.