DigI:DigI-Vodacom Meeting 18Apr2018
DigI:DigI-Vodacom Meeting 18Apr2018
|Title||DigI-Vodacom meeting 18Apr2018|
|Date, Time||2018/04/18, 0930-1030h|
|Contact Person||Rosalynn Mworia|
|Participants||Josef Noll, Felix Sukums, Rosalynn Mworia, Christina Murimi, Christine Lucas|
|related to Project||DigI:DigI|
|this page was created by Special:FormEdit/Meeting, and can be edited by Special:FormEdit/Meeting/DigI:DigI-Vodacom Meeting 18Apr2018|
Vodacom, Dar es Salaam
- 0930h Welcome (Rosalyn)
- 0935h Table Round
- 0945h Connecting the villages Izazi, Mgoli and Selea
- 3G/4G coverage
- Information spots
- Experiences from previous activities
- 1005h Discussions, what can we do
- 1030h End of meeting
Request for information
We received a common understanding in developing the rural market. The following open issues were identified:
- For Migoli at Latitude: -7.145672 | Longitude: 35.819636, do you have a 3G tower? If so, we would like to use a 3G bundle to provide "Internet light for all" at the health spot, the school, and the market place. Do what degree is sponsoring that health spot interesting for you?
- Izazi has a 2G connection from Migoli tower (no 3G), Latitude: -7.23764 | Longitude: 35.720995. Though, our simulation assumes that a 10-15 m pole with a directive UMTS 900 antenna will receive enough power to supply capacity for a Wifi hot-spot. Can you ask you engineers to simulate?
- Selela, Latitude: -3.210762 | Longitude: 35.947617 - can you confirm that you don't have connectivity?
- Your school program is very interesting, and we would be interested in extending the "off-line" school with an "Internet light" school, using an Internet light hot-spot. Can you suggest us with potential villages to pilot?
- Regarding IT entrepreneurship, we have visited the Meltwater Entrepreneurial School of Technology (MEST) in Accra, Ghana. And, given the high number of entrepreneurs, we would like to link your activities on entrepreneurship together with the work from MEST.
- New: What are your upgrade costs from going from a 2G tower to a 3G tower? A rough estimation is fine.
In addition, we are discussing how we can increase the involvement of the government. UNICEF, PATH, NCA and other NGOs might help us in getting a convincing proposition for the government to ask for World Bank/Africa Development/...Banks for an enhanced speed of mobile broadband connectivity.
Information about Phase A villages
2 villages (Izazi and Mgoli) in Iringa districts are for HIV, TB and Cysticercosis (M04) -
- Migoli: has 3G tower in the village, Latitude: -7.145672 | Longitude: 35.819636, Altitude: 717 meters
- Izazi: 2G connection from Migoli tower (no 3G), Latitude: -7.23764 | Longitude: 35.720995, Altitude: 753 meters
One Village in Monduli (Selela) is for for Anthrax (M04)
- Selela, Latitude: -3.210762 | Longitude: 35.947617, Altitude: 1043 meters, TIGO tower on the mountain 5-7 km away
Note: discussions of other villages: in Kainam, Sanu and Yaeda chini villages in Mbulu District, Manyara region and Selela village of Monduli District in Arusha region, both of Northern Tanzania. - GPS coordinates from https://www.gps-coordinates.net)
|DigitalRural TZ-TIgo-meeting-Apr2018||Josef Noll||Click to Open|
|DigitalRural TZ-Vodacom-meeting-Apr2018||Josef Noll||Click to Open|
The schedule of the TZ week:
- 16Apr Round Table discussion Norwegian Embassy
- 17Apr 08:30h DigI meeting at NIMR
- 17Apr 12:00h Meeting with UCSAF
- 18Apr 09:30h Meeting with Vodacom
- 18Apr 11:00h Meeting with Helios
- 18Apr 14:00 Meeting with TIGO on roll-out in Izazi, Mgoli and Selela
- 19Apr 09:30h Meeting with PATH
- 19Apr 12:00h Meeting with Norwegian Church Aid (NCA)
- 20Apr2018 no schedule yet