The IoTSec - Security in IoT for Smart Grids initiative was established in 2015 to promote the development of a safe and secure Internet-of-Things (IoT)-enabled smart power grid infrastructure. The Research Project received funding from the Research Council of Norway (RCN) to contribute to a safe information society.
IoTSec addresses the basic needs for a reliable and efficient, uninterrupted power network with dynamic configuration and security properties. It addresses in addition the needs of businesses and end users of additional IoT services by exploring use cases for value-added services with the intent to design the building blocks for future services that consider the necessary security and privacy preconditions of successfully deployed large-scale services. IoTSec will apply the research in the envisaged Security Centre for Smart Grids, co-located with the Norwegian Centre of Excellence (NCE Smart).
Our aim is to contribute to a secure and privacy-aware ecosystem for the Internet of Things. If you want to become part of the Initiative, please contact us. We envision your challenges, your industrial requirements, your knowledge or your infrastructure. Read more ...
Research work and industrial focus
IoTSec main areas of research cover semantic descriptions, security modelling and measurable security, and are covered by work packages WP1 - WP3:
WP0 Project management, Dissemination and Exploitation (UNIK)
- T0.1 Project management, Collaboration platform, supervision of PhD students
- T0.2 Dissemination, Scientific Papers, workshops, liaisons, industrial take-up
WP1 Semantic system, application, and attack description (Ifi)
- T1.1 Semantic description of infrastructure, attack detection, system view;
- T1.2 Measurable: security, privacy and dependability, metrics
WP2 Development of security models and modules for IoT systems (NR)
- T2.1 Development of privacy-aware models and measures
- T2.2 Adopting and enhancing adaptive security for system of systems
- T2.3 Formal technologies for semantic provability
WP3 System versus Goal analysis for measurable security (NTNU)
- T3.1 Multi-metrics applied for application-driven infrastructures
- T3.2 Human/technical interface, security usability
The research results are adopted to create the Security Centre for operational security for IoT-based critical infrastructure, addressed through the following tasks in WP4.
WP4 Operational security for IoT-based critical infrastructure (NCE Smart)
- T4.1 IoTSec ecosystem and industrial applicability
- T4.2 Smart Grid security centre applicability, assessment, simulation and pilots
- T4.3 Gap Analysis of security methods for critical infrastructures