Our Research is focussed to fulfil the needs of the three billion people emerging. They are in need of education, health and innovation.
Impact Research on Education
Following the Basic Internet mandate of low-bandwidth information provision, we believe that you don't need video and broadband networks to provide education. Wikipedia and apps on phones and tablets can work with a minimum bandwidth, providing more than 300 people with information instead of one person with a video.
Thus, we focus on (low-bandwidth) applications providing information to everyone. Examples of such information pages include web pages, where text and pictures are provided, or health applications providing information based on the sensor- or user-feedback.
Impact Research on Health
Cyber-physical systems, sensors will contribute to increased health and care taking, even in areas without professionals. The core idea is to provide the information about a person to over the low-bandwidth link of Basic Internet, and get personalised information back to the user.
The International Diabetes Federation (IDF) has indicated that 366 million people have diabetes in 2011; by 2030 this will have risen to 552 million . They further indicate that 183 million people (50%) with diabetes are undiagnosed. According to the Transparency Market Research, the market for Diabetes devices and drug market having a value of USD 54.04 billion in 2012 and is estimated to reach a market worth of USD 83.0 billion in 2019 growing at a CAGR of 5.9% from 2013 to 2019 
Projects like Diabetes during Pregnancy have demonstrated that personalised information on blood sugar, food and motion contributes to a substantial health increase. The information can be provided over low-bandwith apps in response to the blood sugar measures.
Blood pressure, Dementia and more health applications
There is a range of other health applications which can be supported through low-bandwidth communications. What we see clearly is how sensors contribute to the paradigm shift for health professionals, moving towards (i) better diagnosis through sensor-aided health information and (ii) faster support including remote monitoring. Studies performed have indicated that sensor-aided health will also have a substantial impact on the patients, providing them with autonomy, self-confidence and a better life, especially for patients having chronic sicknesses.
If you have examples, please inform us.
Matchmaking is seen as the core activity in fostering business innovation in developing economies. Matchmaking includes
- information about markets
- information about co-operation partners
- information about customers
- tools for collaborative innovation
An overview over our technology is provided at Technology, showing our access via satellite networks, radio links or mobile networks. We have identified a series of challenges in Technology evolution and Basic Internet versions, and invite you to help us in answering the challenges
Student Corner for IoTSec
Please be welcome to the Student Corner for BasicInternet.
Amongst the courses addressing the challenges, feel free to have a look at UNIK4700 Building Mobile and Wireless Networks.
Topics for Master ThesisOpen Master Thesis related to Basic Internet
- A decentralised Internet for local Empowerment (Supervisor(s): Josef Noll, Maghsoud Morshedi, Jonathan Muringani)
- A more secure Internet through Internet Lite (Supervisor(s): Josef Noll)
- Access to Digital Public Goods (Supervisor(s): Josef Noll)
- The Freemium Model for Access - Internet Lite (Supervisor(s): Josef Noll)
- Open Source modular Village Information Spot (Supervisor(s): Josef Noll)
- Network-aware traffic shaping (Supervisor(s): Maghsoud Morshedi, Josef Noll, Elin Sundby Boysen)
- Remote Configuration of Communication Infrastructure for Developing Economies (Supervisor(s): Josef Noll, Maghsoud Morshedi, Toktam Ramezani)
- 5G Network Slicing for Free Access to Information (Supervisor(s): Josef Noll)
- Education and Health through InfoInternet (Supervisor(s): Josef Noll)
- Analysis of Proxy services for an Information-Internet (Supervisor(s): Josef Noll, Iñaki Garitano, Jan Standal)
- Elaborating and implementing http2 standards for server-side compression (Supervisor(s): Josef Noll, Iñaki Garitano)
More details are available at OpenThesis
Do you have an idea for a topic?add Basic Internet as a keyword Ongoing Master Thesis related to BasicInternet
- Sara Webber, Media Information Pack on Diabetes, The International Diabetes Federation (IDF), http://www.idf.org/sites/default/files/Media-Information-Pack.pdf
- "Diabetes Devices Drugs Market Expected to Reach USD 83.0 Billion Globally in 2019", Transparency Market Research 2014, http://www.transparencymarketresearch.com/pressrelease/diabetes-devices-market.htm