|Date, Time||2020/06/17, 1100-1200h Oslo time|
|Contact Person||Sanjay Maharaj|
|Participants||Josef.Noll, Brenda Jimris-Rekve, Munashe Furusa, Pius I T Muzariri, Sanjay Maharaj, Gilford Hapanyengwi, Kuzvinetsa P Dzvimbo|
|related to Project||BasicInternet|
|this page was created by Special:FormEdit/Meeting, and can be edited by Special:FormEdit/Meeting/BasicInternet:AfricaUniversity-BasicInternet Jun2020|
Notes from the meeting
The second meeting is for identifying areas of common interest, identified during the May 2020 meeting
Follow up topics
The topics to of discussion:
- How to empower everyone to engage in the digital Journey
- Discussing the different models of connectivity to pursue
- Additional university partners i.e university societies in Zimbabwe
- Concept Note/One pager as a point of departure
- Josef: I have been on international discussion on how to make the state stable ( Getting rid of fake news etc)
- Munashe Furusa: We need to identify the areas of common interest. We need to empower both the staff and the students to participate join digital inclusion. Internet connectivity is our major challenge here at in Zimbabwe.
- Hapanyengwi: The issue of data is critical and we need to see whether we can find zero-rating data for e-learning
The Two Models
The Wholesale Model This model entails collecting of all th simcards for the infospots and the amount is handled as a whole thereby making the one-bill system cheaper. Non-profitable Model The idea here is that the cost for education and healthcare is a societal cost and therefore the government the government should cut down the cost for the operators paying for the license bill if they provide this type of connectivity for education and healthcare. Munashe: Working with the providers is is a good model thus the most appropriate model for this collaboration is the non-profitable model
- Zimren which was formed by the universities in Zimbabwe can negotiate with the providers on this model number 2 e.g negotiate with Vodacom to cut down the cost of data
- Professor Dzimbo suggests an open educational resource
Concept Note/ One pager
- We need to have a company that can negotiate with the providers. In this case, the professors in the meeting will work together on a one-pager on how this model can workout without bias
- The open educational platform- In this, we need to develop a platform, which will form the basis for our funding application.
(a) The policy document shared by Josef in the last minutes written by professors from the universities in Norway will be a good starting point on the non-profit content
Link to full GoogleDocs (please comment) https://docs.google.com/document/d/18aln9OlCN-HvjlgaDXWfZeQvKogR_XbTNrNprfNwqBc/edit?usp=sharing
(b) Technical Paper : This paper will address the technical issues in line with this project. Gilford Hapanyengwi will lead in this paper as a technical expert
- The concept note will be the key point of departure. Therefore, we need a paper that addresses all the concepts.
- We need to contextualise Zimbabwe by integrating all the pillars discussed in this meeting( Knowledge distribution, data governance and information) then the concept can expand and develop as we move along.
Our goal is that the solution that work in Africa need to be known to the society developing/deploying future networks. See 6G for Digital Inclusion and Sustainable Development contribution by Josef Noll (UiO) presented as invited talk at the 6G Summit in 2020 http://www.6gsummit.com/invitedtalks/
The content will be non-profit based on the open educational platform and which will address the 4 keys to digital empowerment that have been set as a priority by the Government of Norway. These four key factors are: Access, Skills, Regulations and Inclusion
- By coming up with a major Concept Note, we can use it to raise money including pulling in UNESCO
- We have to prove that we have a content available that is important and worth sharing with the others
- The availability of university associations across Zimbabwe provides the opportunity to pull more higher educational learning individuals into the digital inclusion agenda
- The basis for Education 5.0 - Prof Dzimbo-More works on the next way of how education is provided.
- With regards to the "mobile license" Business Model, the model still needs to be described in detail (ActionItem: Josef)