Integrating Energy Devices through BasicInternet
Integrating Energy Devices through BasicInternet
|by||Syead Nusrat Nur|
|Supervisor(s)||Josef.Noll, Iñaki Garitano, Sudhir Dixit|
|Problem description:||Integration of Internet of Things (IoT) devices into the home is currently quite cumbersome. This thesis addresses a novel approach on integrating devices, e.g. washing machines, heat pumps and other devices. Starting point is an open but limited Wifi network, called the Information Internet (InfoInternet). The approach, further outlined longer down, let's the device find an/the open Wifi Network, connects to the network, announces itself to the Internet, and gives the owner the opportunity to take control of the device. The thesis will bring the concept into a prototypical solution, and evaluates aspects like security and transfer-of-ownership .|
|Methods and Tools:|| The tools and methods in this thesis are based on
|Time schedule|| The envisaged time schedule (for a long thesis/60 ECTS) is:
|Pre-Knowledge||This thesis is based on a general understanding of security, and recommends to have taken at least two security courses. As integration is based on Wifi, basic understanding of networking should also be present.|
|Keywords||IoT technologies, Smart home, Wi-Fi, Cellular, Client-server model, IoT security, Risk analysis, Client authentication, Information-Internet|
this page was created by Special:FormEdit/Thesis, and can be edited by Special:FormEdit/Thesis/Integrating Energy Devices through BasicInternet
The thesis has been delivered, and can be downloaded following the link:
Download the thesis paper.
- File:Thesis WashingMachine Nusrat.pdf latest version uploaded by Nusrat
- File:Thesis WashingMachine Nusrat comments.pdf latest version with comments
Currently the steps to include new devices in the home is quite cumbersome. The envisaged scenario includes
- Buying a washing machine, and get some kind of certificate
- Transporting the washing machine home
- Attach the washing machine to power. When power is connected the washing machine will search for an open Wifi, e.g. the InfoInternet
- The washing machine connects to the InfoInternet and announces itself at a web address
- The owner of the washing machine used the certificate to take ownership: it is my machine, and configures the machine
- Configuration might address: (i) inclusion in another Wifi network, (ii) integration into the home energy system, or (iii) downloading the app.
- create study plan by xxDec2016
- create TOC of the Essay
TOC - Table of Content
Title page, abstract, ...
- 1. Introduction, containing: short intro into the area, what is happening
- 1.1 Motivation, containing: what triggered me to write about what I'm writing about
- 1.2 Methods, containing: which methods are you using, how do you apply them
- 2. Scenario, optional chapter for explaining some use cases
- 2.1 user scenario, (bad name, needs something bedre)
- 2.2 Requirements/Technological challenges
- 3. State-of-the art/Analysis of technology, structure your content after hardware/SW (or other domains). Describe which technologies might be used to answer the challenges, and how they can answer the challenges
- 3.1 technology A
- 3.2 technology B
- 4. Implementation
- 4.1 Architecture, functionality
- 5. Evaluation
- 6. Conclusions
Chapter 4: list of technologies
4.1 Initial connection Require:
- autodetect of open wifi networks,
- establish the wifi hand-on,
- announcement to the vendor authentication server
Wifi = state-of-the-art autodetect: linux feature? Android feature? (assume a small kernel is in place)
4.3 Authentication - authentication methods? password, secret, symmetric/asymetric keys, ,…SMS, OTP, …. -
GOAL: your final solution is evaluated with respect to your evaluation criteria from chapter 2
Your thesis should have a "red line", which is visible throughout the whole thesis. This means you should mention in the beginning of each chapter how the chapter contributes to the "goals of the thesis".
Use of scientific methods
A thesis follows a standard method:
- describe the problem (problemstilling)
- extract the challenges. These challenges should be measurable, e.g. method is too slow to be useful to voice handover.
- Analyse technology with respect to challenges. Don't write & repeat "everything" from a certain technology, concentrate on those parts (e.g. protocols) which are of importance for your problem
- Wikipedia is good to use to get an overview on what is happening. But there is not scientific verification of Wikipedia, thus you should use wikipedia only in the introduction of a chapter (if you use text from wikipedia). Use scientific literature for your thesis.
- Scientific library is "at your hand", you can get there directly from UiO: [[How to get access to IEEE, Springer and other scientific literature -> Unik/UiOLibrary]]
- I suggest that references to web pages, e.g. OASIS, W3C standards, are given in a footnote. Only if you find white papers or other .pdf documents on a web page then you refer to them in the reference section.
Evaluation of own work
Perform an evaluation of your own work. Revisit the challenges and discuss in how you fulfilled them. Provide alternative solution and discuss what should be done (or what could have been done).